Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Josef and the UK Disaster

    While I was reading "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay", I notice that the beginning of the story reminded me a little of the Chernobyl disaster that happen in Ukrainian in April 26, 1986. As stated in the story Josef Kavalier was a refugee from Czechoslovakia with the help of his old teacher. Josef ended up to safety in New York and many people in the UK escaped the nuclear radiation that was release when the plant had went wrong. The Chernobyl disaster was the worst nuclear power plant accident in history. Many people was exposed to the harmful radiation and many were taken away from their home to get treatment. These people were considered as refugees, just like Josef. Both Josef and the people from UK, escaped a tragedy within their country from harms way. The UK people were saved by troops who were working to help the people, but unlike Josef, he secretly escaped with the help of a teacher to safety. Josef left his family and went away on his on.

     As I continue to read this book, I think about other things to compare this story to. How this story can relate to history or even everyday life. But this one topic caught my attention and I wanted to share these two similarities.

1 comment:

  1. its tragic how all of these unfortunate events are occurring everywhere around the world. there are many "thoughts/theories" as to what and why the series of crazy conundrums are happening but as for me I couldn't fathom the reason.

    ReplyDelete